Sunday Heart to Heart
The Quiet Lessons of Life
There are some lessons in life that do not come from books, classrooms, conferences, or even the greatest institutions in the world.
They come quietly.
They come through people we meet, places we visit, moments we lose, unexpected kindness, difficult goodbyes, and sometimes, through silence.
Over the years, I have travelled many paths. I have sat with women in villages, listened to children speak about their dreams, spent time with senior citizens, participated in international forums, and had the privilege of being part of conversations at the United Nations.
Yet, when I look back, I realise that some of my deepest lessons were learned far away from the spotlight.
I learned that a small act of kindness can be more powerful than a grand speech.
I learned that every person carries a story we may know nothing about.
I learned that strength does not always look strong. Sometimes, it is the quiet woman who keeps going despite everything life has placed on her shoulders.
I learned that children can teach us courage, elders can teach us patience, and people living with very little can sometimes teach us the greatest meaning of gratitude.
And I learned that service is not about being important.
It is about making someone else feel important.
Perhaps that is why, with the passing years, I have become less interested in titles and more interested in purpose.
Less interested in recognition and more interested in impact.
Less interested in being heard and more interested in listening.
Life has also taught me that not every chapter needs an explanation.
Some chapters simply need acceptance.
Some relationships teach us love.
Some teach us boundaries.
Some teach us forgiveness.
And some teach us to let go—with gratitude for what they once meant.
Today, I believe that our greatest legacy is not what we accumulate, but what remains in the hearts of people after we have crossed their path.
A smile we gave.
A hand we held.
A child we encouraged.
A woman we believed in.
An elderly person we listened to.
A moment when we chose compassion instead of judgement.
These may seem like small things.
But perhaps these are the things that truly matter.
So, this Sunday, I want to pause.
Not to look at how far I have travelled, but to be grateful for every person who has walked a part of the journey with me.
For every lesson.
Every blessing.
Every challenge.
Every beginning.
Every ending.
And for the grace to continue.
Because perhaps life is not about reaching a final destination.
Perhaps it is about becoming a little kinder, a little wiser, and a little more compassionate with every step.
And perhaps the greatest journey is the one that takes us closer to our own heart.
A Sunday thought:
What is one quiet lesson that life has taught you that you will carry forever?
With warmth and gratitude,
Ratna Joshi
No comments:
Post a Comment